Wolf shot in West Jutland after garden encounters

Picture of Gitonga Riungu

Gitonga Riungu

Wolf shot in West Jutland after garden encounters

DR revisited Denmark’s summer of wolf encounters on Friday, a series of incidents in Jutland that reopened the question of what place the predator should have in Danish nature.

In a piece published on August 21, DR writes that wolves have shown themselves in several parts of the country in recent weeks. The broadcaster notes that the animal has caused concern, fascination and discussion, and offers readers a quiz about the shy predator.

According to DR, a wolf approached playing children in three separate instances in private gardens in the West Jutland town of Nørre Nebel in early August. Shortly afterward, a wolf bared its teeth at a runner in Bunken Klitplantage in North Jutland while protecting its pup. A wolf was also filmed trotting past a family restaurant in Nørre Nebel.

DR reports that the Nørre Nebel events led to an intense search in the area, and that authorities eventually shot a so-called problem wolf. That outcome sparked debate about regulation zones and about who holds the power to shoot a wolf.

Styrelsen for Grøn Arealomlægning og Vandmiljø, SGAV, announced on August 7 that it had created a new wolf regulation zone at Nørre Nebel. The zone extended an existing zone at Oksbøl and covered private and state land, including Blåbjerg Klitplantage. The permit was valid until October 1, 2026.

Naturstyrelsen was authorized to shoot the animal and to use heat-seeking drones to find it, and private landowners could apply for permission to regulate the wolf. As reported by Berlingske Tidende, SGAV defines a problem wolf as one that is not shy of humans, moves in urban areas, has attacked livestock behind wolf-proof fencing, or endangers human safety. The Copenhagen Post covered the drone deployment in English for international readers.

Wolf shot near Houstrup, zones lifted

A Naturstyrelsen employee shot a wolf on the evening of Thursday, August 13, near Houstrup, west of Nørre Nebel. According to DR, the animal was shot at about 10 meters, which the authorities said gave a high degree of certainty that it was the same wolf.

SGAV stated on August 14 that the purpose of the zones had been fulfilled, and that both the Nørre Nebel and Oksbøl zones were abolished. All regulation permits in those areas were terminated.

The North Jutland case ended differently. Politiken reported that experts from Aarhus University’s DCE and Naturhistorisk Museum Aarhus assessed the Bunken wolf’s behavior as defensive rather than dangerous. The Ministry for Nature and Animal Welfare said on August 12 that the animal could not be classified as a problem wolf, but that the recommendation to avoid the specific area would stand until the end of August.

author avatar
Gitonga Riungu Writer
The Danish Dream

Get the daily top News Stories from Denmark in your inbox