Wolf warning lifted: kids can walk alone in Jutland

Picture of Edward Walgwe

Edward Walgwe

Wolf warning lifted: kids can walk alone in Jutland

Danish authorities have withdrawn their recommendation that children under ten should not walk alone in wolf areas of West Jutland. The advice lapsed after the region’s designated problem wolf was shot.

The Styrelsen for Grøn Arealomlægning og Vandmiljø says the recommendation no longer applies, according to Avisen Danmark, which publishes JydskeVestkysten’s reporting. The agency’s press office states that the advice fell away when the regulation zones around Oksbøl and Nørre Nebel were lifted.

Since January 2026, a wolf had been moving unusually close to people in West Jutland. It was first seen around Oksbøl, Blåvand and Vejers, and later around Houstrup, where it was shot.

The advice was issued at a public meeting in March. Office manager Jens Skovager Østergaard said close encounters could be severe for children under ten and could stay with them. His recommendation was that young children should not walk alone, especially in the summer house areas.

DR reported that Naturstyrelsen shot the animal near Houstrup on the evening of August 13, inside the Nørre Nebel zone. The shot was fired at around ten meters. DR noted it was the second time a problem wolf has been shot in Denmark, and that staff and thermal drones had been deployed since August 6.

The agency states that the purpose of both zones was fulfilled once the wolf was removed, and that the concrete regulation permits lapsed. Avisen.dk reported that no other wolves in the area may now be shot under those permits.

A statement from Ministeriet for Natur og Dyrevelfærd, relayed by Ni.dk, said both zones were being lifted after the shooting. Denmark therefore has no active wolf regulation zones. Authorities say there is a high degree of certainty that the shot animal was the identified problem wolf, and DNA tests were ordered.

How the advice spread locally

The recommendation reached households through several channels. Varde Kommune published it on its official wolf information page, and confirmed that the agency extended it to the Nørre Nebel zone on August 10. The municipality’s page also described the advice as precautionary rather than based on any documented attack.

On August 12, school leader Lene Korsgaard of Blåbjergskolen said the school had advised parents in Nørre Nebel and the surrounding area not to let children under ten walk alone. That guidance was tied to the wolf’s activity in the local area.

Avisen Danmark notes that the recommendation has also disappeared from Varde Kommune’s website. The agency’s message to JydskeVestkysten is the only public confirmation so far that the child advice has been formally withdrawn.

author avatar
Edward Walgwe Writer
Border police unit proposal rejected by union

Get the daily top News Stories from Denmark in your inbox