Horsens stabbing: 59-year-old charged with attempted murder

Picture of Sandra Oparaocha

Sandra Oparaocha

Horsens stabbing: 59-year-old charged with attempted murder

A 59-year-old man from Horsens has been charged with attempted murder after a 40-year-old man was stabbed several times on Sønderbrogade in central Horsens on Sunday afternoon. Police arrested the suspect seven minutes after the first emergency call.

Sydøstjyllands Politi received a report of a possible stabbing in central Horsens on Sunday at 4:55 p.m., Avisen Danmark reports. When officers arrived, they found a 40-year-old man from Horsens on the street in Sønderbrogade. He had serious injuries from multiple knife wounds and was flown to hospital for treatment.

According to the police press release cited by Avisen Danmark, a 59-year-old man with an address in Horsens was arrested at 5:02 p.m. at an address on Sønderbrogade. He has been charged with attempted murder. Police have not provided details about the victim’s condition, citing confidentiality rules.

Vice police inspector Christian Skyt said the preliminary investigation indicates the incident took place at an address on Sønderbrogade. The investigation also points to the suspect and the victim having known each other before the episode, per the same press release.

Streets cordoned off during investigation

Officers sealed off an area around Sankt Helene Vej and Sønderbrogade while forensic examinations, witness interviews and dog searches were carried out. B.T., which covered the case on Sunday evening as a violent assault, reported that several streets were closed and that a man had been flown to hospital by helicopter.

A duty officer told B.T. that residents should respect police cordons and instructions while officers examined the streets and a specific address in the area. B.T. also noted that police considered the case an isolated incident.

Skyt stated that there is no reason for residents or others in the area around Sønderbrogade to feel unsafe, although such a serious incident in a neighborhood can naturally be unpleasant. Police do not assess the case as gang-related, according to the press release.

Ekstra Bladet reports the same timeline, with the emergency call shortly before 5 p.m. and the arrest at 5:02 p.m. The outlet adds that both men live in Horsens and that the attack is believed to have taken place between parties who knew each other.

Sydøstjyllands Politi expects the 59-year-old to be brought before a custody hearing at the Court in Horsens later on Monday. The time of the hearing will be announced once it has been set, according to the press release cited by Avisen Danmark and Ekstra Bladet.

The victim’s exact medical condition remains unknown. Police have said only that he is seriously injured and have declined to say more because of confidentiality obligations.

author avatar
Sandra Oparaocha Writer
A P Moller Maersk: Revolutionizing Global Trade

Get the daily top News Stories from Denmark in your inbox