Knife violence up among Danish youth, experts warn

Picture of Ascar Ashleen

Ascar Ashleen

Knife violence up among Danish youth, experts warn

Det Kriminalpræventive Råd says several indicators on knives in Danish nightlife are pointing in the wrong direction. The warning comes days after a 16-year-old boy was fatally stabbed at a party in Roskilde.

Tine Fuglsang, analysis chief at Det Kriminalpræventive Råd, the Danish Crime Prevention Council, says there is reason for concern about young people carrying knives at night. DR reported her assessment on August 23, 2026.

Her concern rests on two developments. According to Fuglsang, charges against young people for illegal possession of a knife in publicly accessible places have risen. She also points to a small increase in so-called sharp violence treated at emergency departments among 15- to 34-year-olds, after years of decline.

Fuglsang stresses that the increases are small and that firm conclusions should not be drawn. When several different sources move in the wrong direction, however, the development must be taken seriously, she told DR.

A survey carried out by the council shows that 17 percent of young people believe others carry knives, while only 0.5 percent say they have taken a knife out into nightlife. Fuglsang says prevention should aim at ensuring young people do not even get the idea of bringing a knife along, either to use it or to protect themselves.

The council urges parents and professionals around young people to watch closely for conflicts that appear to be escalating. As noted by Fuglsang, some of those conflicts begin online before they are played out in the physical world.

The statistical basis is set out in the council’s emergency department report on violence in Denmark, published in 2025. It documents that sharp violence cases among 15- to 34-year-olds rose from 622 in 2023 to 736 in 2024, while knife stabbings in that age group increased from 133 to 184. In a June 2025 news item, Det Kriminalpræventive Råd also stated that the share of violence occurring in nightlife areas grew from about 6 percent in 2020 to around 12 percent in 2024.

The Roskilde case

The expert interview follows a fatal stabbing in Roskilde last week. TV 2 reported that a 16-year-old boy died after multiple knife wounds near Folkeparken on August 14, 2026, during a party for new upper-secondary students. Police were notified at 17:33, and another 16-year-old was arrested and charged with manslaughter.

DR’s coverage of the case states that the suspect has been remanded in custody and denies the charge. Per Nordjyske, citing Ritzau, the victim was a student at Himmelev Gymnasium, and police say a prior conflict between the two boys preceded the attack.

Politiken reported that investigators are seeking video footage of the stabbing, which took place at a party attended by hundreds of young people. Midt- og Vestsjællands Politi confirmed the appeal for recordings in a press release distributed via Ritzau on August 16, 2026.

author avatar
Ascar Ashleen Writer
The Danish Dream

Get the daily top News Stories from Denmark in your inbox