Seven countries have condemned Israel’s decision to open construction tenders for the E1 settlement project in the occupied West Bank, calling the move unacceptable. Danish analysts told DR the international pressure may end up strengthening Israel’s right wing before October’s election.
DR reports that the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway and Canada criticized the Israeli plans in a joint declaration. The seven governments described the tender for the new homes as unacceptable. They wrote that the plans move the parties further from peace and further undermine Israel’s international standing.
The full text was published by the UK government on August 20, 2026. The leaders call on Israel to retract the plans and to end settlement expansion in the West Bank. They also restate their position that the settlements are illegal under international law, a view they say the UN Security Council has reaffirmed.
The overall plan for the E1 area was approved last year by Israel’s finance minister, Bezalel Smotrich. As DR has previously reported, the approval covered 3,401 new homes near Jerusalem. Smotrich made no secret of the aim, which was to prevent the creation of a future Palestinian state.
DR’s international correspondent Steffen Kretz said he finds it very hard to imagine such a state if the plans are carried out. Per Kretz, the territory would be cut into two disconnected parts. That would separate Ramallah, the largest Palestinian city, from East Jerusalem.
Just over 3 million people live in the occupied West Bank. According to the organization Peace Now, a little over half a million of them are settlers. Hans Henrik Fafner, foreign editor at the outlet POV and based in Tel Aviv, said most are ordinary Israeli families who live there because of cheap housing and good childcare arrangements.
Fafner told DR that the same group is interested in the new homes in E1, where they can find inexpensive housing close to workplaces in Jerusalem. The joint statement also urges businesses not to bid for the construction tenders. It warns of legal and reputational consequences, including the risk of involvement in serious breaches of international law.
Reactions and timing
Bloomberg reported the declaration as a diplomatic rebuke, quoting the call for Israel to retract the plans immediately. As reported by the Palestinian news agency WAFA, President Mahmoud Abbas welcomed the statement on August 21. He warned that E1 would separate the northern and southern West Bank and isolate East Jerusalem.
The seven leaders link the timing to what they call grave instability in the West Bank, citing settler violence and restrictions on the Palestinian economy. Kretz told DR the condemnation will not stop the project, pointing to Israel’s parliamentary election in October. Settlers are represented in two government parties, and Kretz said European pressure strengthens the right wing.
Fafner shares that analysis. He said the international criticism confirms Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s account of standing up to the world community. According to Fafner, the effect may be to strengthen Netanyahu during the campaign.








