Harry and Meghan moving back to UK by August end

Picture of Kibet Bohr

Kibet Bohr

Harry and Meghan moving back to UK by August end

Prince Harry and Meghan are moving from the United States back to the United Kingdom before the end of August 2026, according to several British media reports.

DR reports that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will leave the US and return to Britain before August turns into September. The couple have made no official announcement. DR bases its report on British outlets, including the BBC.

According to the BBC, Prince Harry’s father, King Charles, was informed of the decision on Sunday. The family will live in a private, non royal residence outside London, and the exact location has not been disclosed. Their children, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, are enrolled to start at a British school in September.

Reuters reports that a person close to the couple confirmed the move, describing it as being for an extended period. Per Reuters, the pair will not live in a royal residence and will remain non working royals under the terms agreed when they left in March 2020. Reuters notes that neither Harry’s spokesperson nor Buckingham Palace commented.

The New York Times, citing two people familiar with the decision, reports that the family is moving back in the coming weeks, about six years after leaving for California. CNN also reports a move to a private home outside London, with no return to royal duties.

Danish commentator calls the timing a surprise

Britain commentator Morten Rønnelund told DR’s radio program P1 Morgen that the news is very big and something of a surprise. He noted that talks within the royal household have been ongoing, and that Harry visited the King earlier this year. According to Rønnelund, few expected the return to come with only weeks’ notice.

Rønnelund said most Britons instinctively feel the couple belong in the UK rather than the US. He added that people can welcome them back while still voicing their criticism of them.

Harry and Meghan stepped back from their royal duties in early 2020 and moved to California in March that year. As reported by the BBC, neither has plans to resume working royal roles. In July 2026, the couple visited King Charles and Queen Camilla, the first time in more than four years that the King saw his son, daughter in law and grandchildren.

After the move to the US, Harry lost his automatic claim to police protection in Britain, and he later lost an appeal on the matter. He has previously said that security concerns kept the family from returning. Rønnelund said some new agreement or understanding on security must have been reached, but that no one has disclosed its content.

The BBC ties the late August timeline to the school calendar, reporting that the children are enrolled to begin classes in Britain in September.

author avatar
Kibet Bohr Writer
I am a writer and blogger specialising in content that bridges digital innovation, personal growth, and global culture. I have a particular knack for turning complex topics into compelling, accessible stories. My writing often explores the impact of technology, storytelling, and self-development in everyday life in Denmark.
The Danish Dream

Get the daily top News Stories from Denmark in your inbox