South Korea and the United States have cut their annual Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise short. The drills will now end on Friday, August 21, instead of August 27.
South Korea’s top military command has confirmed the shortened schedule for the joint exercise now under way. As reported by DR, citing the news agency Reuters, the drills will close on August 21 rather than running to August 27 as planned.
The exercise began on Monday, August 17, 2026. According to Reuters, the first phase, which trains defensive readiness, will be completed. The second phase, covering how the allies would respond and counterattack in the event of a North Korean attack, will be canceled or postponed, per the South Korean broadcasters KBS and MBC and the newspaper Kyunghyang.
CNN reports that South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said the two countries decided to partially adjust the exercise period and size at the request of the United States. The broadcaster describes the drills as cut roughly in half. CNBC also reported a reduction of about half, with the exercise running from August 17 to 21.
Around 18,000 South Korean troops had been due to take part alongside U.S. forces, according to Reuters. DR notes that the United States has not commented on the new end date. The Dong-A Ilbo reported on August 11, 2026, that some field training components had already been scaled back this year.
Trump’s order preceded the decision
In a post on Truth Social on August 16, 2026, U.S. President Donald Trump said he had instructed Secretary of War Pete Hegseth to substantially reduce the joint exercises. He called the drills costly and said they send an inappropriate and hostile signal to North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. Trump added that it was too late to cancel the exercise entirely.
In the same post, the president noted that South Korea had recently declined to join U.S. efforts against Iran’s nuclear program. He wrote that he had asked the South Korean president to take part and received the answer “No thanks.” Trump said the two matters might not be directly connected.
CNN links the timing of the shortened schedule directly to that directive, citing the Joint Chiefs of Staff statement that the change came at Washington’s request. Reuters reported on August 18 that U.S. Forces Korea commander Xavier Brunson visited South Korea’s Defence Ministry to discuss scaling back the exercise. The ministry and U.S. Forces Korea did not immediately comment, according to the agency.
South Korea’s presidential office said Seoul and Washington have closely coordinated on maintaining a firm combined defense posture and on joint drills, as reported by the Seoul Economic Daily. The office stated that the exercises are not aimed at attacking North Korea or raising tensions.








