Horsens stabbing: Man, 59, denies attempted murder

Picture of Ascar Ashleen

Ascar Ashleen

Horsens stabbing: Man, 59, denies attempted murder

A 59-year-old man was brought before a judge in Horsens on Monday, charged with attempted murder after a 40-year-old man was stabbed several times in an apartment on Sønderbrogade.

The 40-year-old suffered life-threatening injuries in the stabbing, which took place Sunday afternoon. Avisen Danmark reports that the charge states he survived because he received life-saving assistance at the scene. The 59-year-old denies guilt.

According to the same reporting, the weapon used in the attack has not been found. The public will not learn what lies behind the stabbing for now, because the judge closed the doors of the courtroom at the request of the prosecution. The argument was that it remains unclear whether possible accomplices or other witnesses are still at large.

The stabbing was reported to police at 4:55 p.m. on Sunday. Seven minutes later, officers arrested the 59-year-old at an address on Sønderbrogade in Horsens. An area around Sankt Helene Vej and Sønderbrogade was cordoned off while investigators carried out examinations and witness interviews, and the area was searched with dogs.

Sydøstjyllands Politi said in a press release that the preliminary investigation points to the incident taking place at an address on Sønderbrogade, and that the suspect and the victim knew each other beforehand. Deputy police inspector Christian Skyt said there was no reason for residents in the area to feel unsafe, while acknowledging that such an incident in a neighborhood can be unpleasant. Police also assessed that the case is not gang-related.

Earlier on Monday, Sydøstjyllands Politi stated that the 40-year-old’s condition was serious, but it was unclear whether he remained in life-threatening danger. Ni.dk reported that the man was flown to hospital by helicopter, and that police early Monday would not comment on his condition or on whether anyone had been arrested. As noted by the same outlet, officers searched the area around Sankt Helene Vej and Sønderbrogade overnight.

Avisen.dk put the arrest at 5:02 p.m. and reported that the court hearing was expected to take place at Retten i Horsens the same day. Horsens Folkeblad reported that the 40-year-old was seriously injured and that the suspect was arrested on Sønderbrogade shortly after the stabbing.

Five people had turned up as spectators at Monday’s remand hearing, but they also had to leave the courtroom when the doors were closed. The accused appeared in an army green hoodie, black trousers and bathing sandals, and seemed affected by the situation. It was not clear whether he wished to give a statement during the hearing.

author avatar
Ascar Ashleen Writer
About

Get the daily top News Stories from Denmark in your inbox