Ebola kills over 2,100 in Congo’s worst outbreak

Picture of Femi Ajakaye

Femi Ajakaye

Ebola kills over 2,100 in Congo’s worst outbreak

The World Health Organization says the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo has become the deadliest ever recorded in the country, with more than 2,100 confirmed deaths.

Avisen Danmark reports that the outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the most lethal in the country’s history. The report, published in the early hours of August 17, 2026, is based on figures from international health authorities.

In its Disease Outbreak News update, the World Health Organization described the outbreak as being in a phase of intense transmission. As of August 12, 2026, WHO reported 4,665 confirmed cases and 2,184 confirmed deaths.

The outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus. Per WHO, it is expanding faster than any previous Ebola outbreak recorded in the country. By August 12, the virus had reached five provinces and was affecting 53 health zones.

Ituri province in the northeast remains the center of transmission. According to the WHO Director-General’s remarks on August 12, 2026, Ituri accounted for 90 percent of cases and 80 percent of deaths.

Spread to a sixth province

Reuters reported on August 14, 2026, that the outbreak had spread to a sixth province, Bas-Uele, after an Ebola death was identified in the provincial capital, Buta. As Reuters noted the day before, an official said the person who died had traveled from Haut-Uele, which raised fears of wider transmission.

Figures published in the preceding weeks show how quickly the totals have risen. Reuters reported on August 11, 2026, that government data showed 4,381 confirmed cases and 2,011 deaths.

Earlier in the month, UN News reported on August 3, 2026, that 3,605 confirmed cases and 1,587 deaths had been recorded as of July 30. The BBC said on August 1, 2026, that the outbreak was already the biggest in the country’s history, with Ituri as the center of transmission.

Why the outbreak is worsening now

WHO stated on August 14, 2026, that 1,060 additional confirmed cases and 597 additional confirmed deaths had been reported in the country since August 1. The organization said transmission remains intense and that the virus has continued to move into new areas.

On August 6, 2026, Africa CDC and WHO issued a joint statement reporting 3,973 confirmed cases and 1,801 deaths as of August 4. The two bodies called for urgent, community-led action to strengthen contact tracing and response capacity.

author avatar
Femi Ajakaye Editor in Chief
Where Is Copenhagen, the Beautiful Capital of Denmark?

Get the daily top News Stories from Denmark in your inbox